Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Book Study: Learn Like a Pirate {Ch 2}


After reading the first chapter of this book I was all for a student-led classroom.  It sounded wonderful!  The students will be engaged, learning and taking ownership of their education and learning.  Team work and learning together.  Learning independence and responsibility while the teacher is free to help and mentor students in their learning adventure.

It all sounds wonderful!

Almost too wonderful.

I had a lot of concerns like:
*I like being in control.  How do I give that up?
*My classroom will be loud.  Like really loud.
*How do I fit everything in?
*What about the quiet kids?
*How do I make this work in my classroom?
*What if I fail?????

This chapter helped me look at all these concerns (and some I didn't even know I had until I read them) and realize it's still worth the chance to take.  If it doesn't work out then I will have a teacher-led classroom just like I always have had.  But if I take the chance and jump in and give this a try with an open mind I might find a wonderful new adventure for me and my students.

One concern I still have and worry a little bit about is that this seems to work great with 3rd and up classrooms.  I'm worried as to how I will make this happen in my first grade.  I'm reading along and looking into how to make this happen and work for  me.  I know I will modify it to fit my classroom.
It's just a question as to how I will end up doing that in the end.
I do know that I am willing and ready to give this a try.
Are you?
Have you taken this challenge on in your classroom?
I'd LOVE to hear what worked and didn't work for you.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...