Friday, May 3, 2013

Five for Friday {May 3} Derby Style

It is good to be Friday.
I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for
the Five for Friday.
I have been looking forward for this all week long.
Let the good times roll.

 

I am so glad this week is over.
I had morning duty this week for the whole school.
It wasn't bad but I still prefer not doing it. 

So here is my little bit of randomness this week:)

1.  It's Derby time here in Kentucky and we have been doing some really fun things.
We made Derby hats because everyone wears hats to the Derby.  They can be anything from funny, pretty, crazy, elegant and the list goes on and on. 

We learned the hard way that spray painting them was not a good idea.  It was hard to tape, glue and draw on them.  We know to do something different next year.

2.  We raced cotton balls in the room.  The kids had so much fun doing this.  They each got one cotton ball and one straw.  They had to blow through the straw to race their cotton ball down the room to the finish line.  This actually went with our religion lesson on the Holy Spirit being like the wind.  We can't see it but we know it's there.  Anyway the kiddos were more worried about winning and crossing the finish line:)


3.  They had goodies in the teacher's lounge.   

Derby Pie cupcakes {They were good}
Derby cupcakes {These were the BEST!!!}
Yummy.

 4.  We had a Turtle Derby!!!!  Yep you read that right.  The Pre-K teachers organized the derby and provided the classes{Pre-K through 5} with a turtle.  We named the turtle Lightening and made posters for him/her.  Our little turtle was terrified of the noise so it refused to come out and race but it was really fun and the whole school go to watch.  The 5th grade's turtle won the race by a landslide. 


Here is our little guy.  He was so so scared:(
The winner received a garland of strawberries.

5.  Two of my kiddos found Gold Derby Pins!!!  I have been collecting these things for years and have never gotten a gold one:(  I also heard anther student talking about one of the older kids finding one too.  What's the chances of 3 kids from the same school finding Gold Derby Pin all in the same weekend?  I guess pretty good this year!


I'm off today for the Oaks.  In the past so many teachers and kids asked for the day off or weren't at school it just made more sense to have it as a day off.  I'm not complaining at all.  I hope to work on some things for my stores and watch the races on TV:)


Photobucket
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...