Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Social Studies: Mexico

At my school the students don't have Social Studies books.  In fact I only have a teacher's book because it was sent as a display for the school to look at and maybe adopt which we didn't:(  Anyway I really don't miss not having books for the kiddos.  This way I am able to pull my own things together as long as I follow our school curriculum {of course;)}.  I teach my content by studying different countries.  We study Ireland in March and make leprechaun traps.  My firsties have already been asking about this project.
 
So the first thing I teach about is Mexico.  We learn about their flag, language, clothes, food, music and games to name just a few.  So today I had my kiddos make tambourines decorated with the Mexican flag colors.  We then listened to the Mexican Hat dance tune and tried to keep the beat with our tambourines.  I took a picture of my firsties holding their tambourines in front of their faces so I could post it here. 


We made the tambourines out of 2 paper plates that had been colored and then stapled together.  I added a small handful of macaroni {because that was what I had in my cabinet on hand} and then finished stapling it closed.  We had a lot of fun and it was super easy to do. 

Do you have a Social Studies book for your students?  If so which one do you have and do you like it? 
I'd love to hear what you do fun for this subject.


Don't forget about Amy's giveaway!!  You still have time.  Someone has to win, it might as well be YOU;)



Photobucket
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...